It's been a little while since I posted about my editor configuration1, and I thought I might post what I'm using now. I guess the most notable change is that (after much prodding from my coworker Drew Ditthardt) I've switched from Vim to Neovim. Neovim is a vim-compatible editor written in C and Lua (as opposed to Vim, which is written in C, Vimscript, and prayers). I upgraded to Vim 8 last year and have had a few too many segmentation faults in the editor, so I decided to switch to something where more functionality was implemented in a memory-safe language. So far, Neovim has been pretty good to me, although the new process model means that it's pretty hard to write functions which invoke an external process which takes interactive input from a user.
As is probably expected for this sort of thing, here's a couple of screenshots; the first is of VimR, and the second is
from NeoVim in
Terminal.app, both editing files from rust-mysql-binlog:
Most of the work done in actual programming jobs is taking structured data in some particular format from one system, slightly tweaking it, and sending it off to some other system. When exchanging data between different processes, it's almost always necessary to serialize it into a series of bytes which can be sent across a dumb byte-oriented transport (such as TCP). There are hundreds upon hundreds of different serialization formats out there, but I just wanted to talk about a few of the most common that folks use with the Python programming language.read more
We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: premature optimization is the root of all evil. Yet we should not pass up our opportunities in that critical 3%.
Measure. Don't tune for speed until you've measured, and even then don't unless one part of the code overwhelms the rest.
We spend a lot of our time in the modern, web services-driven technology industry ignoring performance issues. What's the point of micro-optimizing a 3ms function call when each request spends 8 or 9 seconds inside the SQLAlchemy ORM? Well, sometimes it's nice to practice those optimizion skills anyway, and today I'm going to walk you through micro-optimizing a simple problem and we'll see just how much better we can do than a naive solution... even though we probably normally shouldn't.read more
wamupd 0.1.2 is now available at //files.roguelazer.com/projects/wamupd/wamupd-0.1.2.tar.bz2 (or via git, if you prefer). It fixes some TXT-related bugs filed by @daagaak. As usual, to learn about the project you can visit the wamupd page.read more
Hello interested parties. dnsextd (in my git repository) now supports
TCP. It was actually sort of an amusing bug. I guess the dnsextd code
must date back to PowerPC, because it had an extra
ntoh call which on
little-endian systems would cause TCP requests to fail. It's fixed in
the "tcp" branch of my git repository. In case you're curious as to how
to get that repository, you would use the following:
% git clone //files.roguelazer.com/projects/mDNSResponder-214.git % cd mDNSResponder-214 % git branch --track tcp origin/tcp % git checkout tcp
If you need more setup help, Dynamic DNS: Part …read more
So, some news on the wamupd front. I just released version 0.1.1 (tagged as such in git; also available as a tarball at //files.roguelazer.com/projects/wamupd/wamupd-0.1.1.tar.bz2) which has a lot of new features over the prior, unnamed release.
I've got ideas for the next few releases (still looking into xdg, making …read more