Dynamic DNS: Part Two
This post is a follow-up to Dynamic DNS
When last I left you, we had basic updateable DNS running and could
update it from OS X. I've been a bit busy since then, but thanks to some
prodding from @Loredo, I got back in and started looking at. What
follows is the exciting story of how I got things up and running – by
the end of this post, you'll have access to a working copy of dnsextd
for linux, and a client application that updates SRV and IP (A/AAAA)
*nix Tip of the Day: Dynamic DNS
It's nice to have DNS records for all of your computers. It's a
giant pain in the ass to remember IP addresses, especially if you're on
something like a cable connection, where the IP address is dynamic (but
only changes every month or two). Now, you could go ahead and use
DynDNS or No-IP or something. But those are lame. You have to
use a subdomain of one of their domains, and you have to use their
software to update. You might be wondering if there's a better way.
Well, there is. Standard DNS supports updating, it turns out. In BIND,
this is managed through the allow-update parameter. I had some free
time this week after I finished finals, so I went ahead and set it up,
along with the other trimmings required for Wide-Area Bonjour. It's
cool, so I thought I'd post a bit.
The most important resource for all of this stuff is dns-sd.org.
Aside from a couple of minor errors that I corrected and an update for
OS X 10.5+, this Tip will be based off of the guides from that site. So
credit to them.
I picked up a new "computer" last week. A virtual one, that is. I ran
into this site called prgmr which offers very low-cost, bare virtual
private servers. So far, so good. Got Debian set up all the way I like
it. Now just to find something fun to do with it. :-)
Hello gentle readers… You may be surprised to notice that this website
has had a redesign. I was on earlier and noticed that Srini's
Fluid-Blue WordPress theme had been updated to F2, which is
newer and shinier. So, of course, I had to install the new one and redo
my customizations of colors and such. And once I'd done that, it was
really worth my time to do some additional customization, like adding a
Google Custom Search box. Ayuh.
You also might have noticed the new logo. Yes, I know, it's not very
good. Oh well. If you didn't notice …
So, I working on my algs problem set just now; which is to say, I was
browsing the web and trying very hard not to think about amortized
runtime analysis. Anyhow, I found this awesome webcomic called
minus. I know, I know, I'm years behind the curve, and it's a
little… odd. But it has a persistently beautiful surrealism to it.
Anyhow, you all should go read it. And, of course, all of the other
webcomics I read are listed under "Links" above.
For the past couple of weeks, I've been hearing from a number of
"Fishbots". If you don't know what I'm talking about, well, there's this
service called Project Upstream which runs a network of AIM bots
with names like ThemedSalmon and "SweptCoho". The idea behind these
bots seems to be that they collect AIM nicks and then randomly connect
pairs of people. It's sort of a cool idea, if you think about it.
Random, and completely anonymous, one-time contact with a person.