On Teaching and Value
A few minutes ago, I was reading an article from my hometown's newspaper, the Fall River Herald News. It was an article indicating that half of the schools in Fall River have been classified as "needs improvement" by the state. I'm not here to talk to you about the article so much; it was hardly good news, but nothing new for Fall River. Instead, I'd like to talk about the comments. You see, I was reading this article online, and the online edition of the Herald has a comments field. Here are two of the posted comments, reproduced for analysis' sake:
- city gets what it pays for--- city gives the least amount of money to education in the state-and the money they do have they misuse
- Thanks duclos, I knew that was the problem with our schools. We have to start paying our teachers more in order to get them to teach! I figure $80,000 to $90,000 a year might get us off the failure list.
I think that this represents an interesting divide in the perception of schools, and one which I've seen a lot, at least anecdotally. So I thought I'd do some research.read more
So, apparently, people actually have read this blog. I haven't the foggiest idea why somebody would want to do that, but I suppose it means that I actually ought to post here once in a while. I guess I can at least try. I'll start with the last, you know, three months.
It's been at least as crazy a semester as I thought it would be. I ended up pulling a few more academic all-nighters than is strictly good for me, but I think I survived anyway. Some surprises included Discrete being a much more challenging class ...read more
Back in California
Okay, so I'm a slow blogger. At this rate, I assume there isn't actually anybody reading this any more. No? Good.
So, as you might have (hypothetically) gathered from the title of this post, I'm back at HMC for another year. No, scratch that. Another crazy, insane, sleep-depped year. That's more like it. I'm taking, erm, 9 curses this semester. Plus research with Professor (D. Money) Harris. Any some grutoring (grading/tutoring, for the uninitiated) for CS5 on the side. So, yeah, it's busy. Right now I'm supposed to be doing some math ...read more
Ah, Collegiate Internet
As you may or may not know, HMC shares what is essentially a backbone line to the Internet. Sometimes, if you get it just right, that can mean really, really excellent things. As this photo shows. No, that's not doctored. If you go to some of my photos on flickr, you can see more of these insane speeds. And I just wanted to say that that is awesome.read more
So, only one more day left in the week, and I've only got two classes. Then it's the week-end! Woo!read more
Another day, another dollar
Hello again invisible readers. Just thought I'd relate all of the terribly interesting things that have been happening lately...
- Chemistry test today. Could have been much worse. Trust me. Quantum chemistry can get hairy, but it didn't.
- Did some more work on CSS/PROFILE today. Eugh. Can't the various people who want to know about my finances (IRS, Department of Education, College Board, Harvey Mudd, Bank of America, etc.) just get together and only make me go through all of this once instead of a million times?
- Watched yesterday's House today. 'twas awesome, 'nuff said.
- Also ...