Small update: I rewrote the CSS for this website to replace all of the Bootstrap Grid system stuff with straight up
Flexbox. It's so much better! We should all use Flexbox for everything!
The "gallery" view (used in, e.g., the end of yesterday's "Life Updates" post)
is also now Flexbox and better.
I tested this on a bunch of browsers and screen sizes, but please let me know if you find anything that looks broken.
I also got bored and made the tags page a tag cloud on wide-enough screens because it's like the 90's again.
Small update: this website now supports "Dark Mode" on macOS 10.14+ iOS 13+, and the forthcoming Android Q, all using the
prefers-color-scheme CSS media
selector. Let me know if you see anything that looks janky!
Some minor site updates over the last few days:
- Comments are now powered by Commento instead of Disqus. This
significantly reduces page load size on pages with comments.
- Icons (social media, etc) are all now 2x resolution for modern retina screens.
- Site-specific search is now powered by DuckDuckGo instead of Google. No longer loads an iframe, significantly
faster site-loads, and better privacy to boot.
- Archives page works again. Did this ever work?
- Page is back to being fluid instead of fixed-width.
- Improved CSS across the board, particularly on mobile devices.
- Code page is updated.
I also managed to backport in some blog posts from the 2004-2007 era that were on the Internet Archive. For
Feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me if you notice any bugs.
New Site, Again
Hello dear readers. If you can see this, then it means the new, redesigned
is up and running. I got tired of dealing with WordPress
vulnerabilities regularly, and was somewhat embarassed to have a site
running on PHP. After all, there isn't actually any dynamic content here, so
The site is now a bunch of Markdown files compiled into HTML using the
- Much faster, since it's just static HTML
- Back to being standards-compliant HTML5
- Behaves sanely on mobile, for the first time ever (thanks
- Better Atom and RSS feeds (although they're at a new url…)
Hello gentle readers… You may be surprised to notice that this website
has had a redesign. I was on earlier and noticed that Srini's
Fluid-Blue WordPress theme had been updated to F2, which is
newer and shinier. So, of course, I had to install the new one and redo
my customizations of colors and such. And once I'd done that, it was
really worth my time to do some additional customization, like adding a
Google Custom Search box. Ayuh.
You also might have noticed the new logo. Yes, I know, it's not very
good. Oh well. If you didn't notice …
Just in case anybody cares, I've upgraded the site to the latest and
greatest (WordPress version 2.8.1). No user action is required at this
Also, the code behind the blog is now valid HTML5, and there's a Google
Friend Connect widget so you can participate in discussions without
creating yet another account (woo!).